1 pound frozen pitted tart cherries
1 green apple, cored and diced
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
1/2 cup unsweetened cherry or apple juice
Nonstick cooking spray
1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped 2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a bowl, toss together the cherries, apple, brown sugar, and almond extract.
3. In a cup, mix the cornstarch and juice and add to the fruit mixture, stirring well.
4. Pour the mixture into an 8-inch-square baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
5. Mix together the remaining ingredients. Crumble the mixture on top of the fruit.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Raise heat to broil and brown topping lightly for 1-2 minutes. Remove from oven. Serve warm or cold.