7 oz plain flour
3.5 oz butter
1 tsp caster sugar
1 small egg, beaten
1 lb rhubarb, washed and cut into 1.5 in pieces
4 oz caster sugar
2 tbsp corn flour
- Preheat the oven to 200C Gas Mark 4.
- Place the flour and salt in a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, stir in the beaten egg and enough water to make a firm, smooth dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry and use to line a 9 in flan tin.
- Chill for 15 minutes.
- Bake blind for 10-15 minutes, remove the paper and baking beans and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until firm and pale golden.
- Place the rhubarb in a pan with 5 fl oz water and simmer gently until soft but not stingy.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Blend the corn flour with a little water, stir it into the rhubarb.
- Bring to the boil, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Pour the rhubarb into the flan case and leave to cool.
- Serve cool or chilled with cream, ice cream or custard.